Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mystery of the Lost Chain...

Noticing that the chrome on the chain-stay has a few mars, I remembered the most recent episode where it was lost. Note please that this is a somewhat rarer occurrence, I might say, on the simpler drivetrains of fixed/SS bikes (However, I am noticing that my chain line isn't that straight so that's a demerit for my set-up right there.).  Thinking back to the time leading up to this loss in Edgewater, not far from the N. point of the trail, I remembered that I wasn't going that fast when it happened, but had meandered through several blocks of back-streets, after having tired myself out before encountering heavy traffic (and resultant fumes) traveling south on Sheridan, moving with that high-speed traffic.
So, my hypothesis is this: The chain got hottest on Sheridan, however, the cog and ring were, also, heated enough to expand with the chain. However, since the ring and cog were actually diffusing heat from the chain, once the speed slowed, they cooled down much faster, leaving me with an extra-stretched, due to heat-expansion, chain, and relatively normal size cogs, then, also, consequently, eventually, a few more dings on the chrome-finished chain-stay (sigh).

No comments:

Post a Comment